Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring Cleaning Vs. Five Monkeys

Its getting there. Slowly but surely....Spring has officially sprung and the cleaning fever has hit. Let me just tell you, if you have a choice between cleaning your entire home top to bottom alone or with the so-called "help" from five monkeys (aka little boys), go it alone. Unless you get some sick pleasure out of re-doing the same tasks over and over and over and over......well, you get my drift. i don't know about you but I really only prefer to scrub my bathrooms ONCE a day, thank you. Cleaning it to a satisfying shine just to walk back in ten minutes later to be greeted by toothpaste fingerpaint smears on the toilet seat sort of takes away the former satisfaction. (And leads one to contemplate WHAT exactly was going through my 3 year olds mind to squeeze the entire tube out onto his hands and then rub it into the toilet?????
But i digress. Anyway, my OCD is having little happy parties in my head recently with all of these organization tasks. I cleared out the food pantry and donated three boxes of food. (WHY oh why did we have fourteen cans of canned meat????? Is that stuff even MEAT? Ugh.) I organized the DVDs by category, flipped all the mattreses, cleaned out the fridge. (Including the top, which has not been tackled since I moved here 14 months ago.) Tip on your fridge top. After cleaning it, line it with saran wrap. that way the nasty gunk and dust settles on that and you can just peel it up and lay new wrap down. I wish I had done that in the first place. Yuck is all I can say. My first order of business today was to organize my books by color. Inspired by a photo I came across online. seeing something so orderly and pretty gives me the motivation to then attack less enjoyable tasks such as the dreaded junk drawer.....which I must confess had somehow turned into TWO junk drawers over the course of the last few months.QUITE the accumulation of nothingness.
To rid one self of so much STUFF really is freeing. I find with less clutter around me, thre is less clutter in my brain. I am not as overwhelmed. I plan on rewriting teh book I wrote a few years back that got lost and the potential of a beginning is rising with the clearing out of my office. (Which somewhere along the way became the throw-everything-in-here-that-you-don't-want-the-baby-to-get-into Space) I miss sitting at my desk and pouring my soul out onto blank pages. Though now with the lovely addition of my laptop shall be a blank screen. :)
This is a sideways shot of my bookshelf. I probably get overly excited over organization. LOL
 And here is my livingroom. Its an ivy theme, in honor of the beautiful ivy plant my mom gave to me at the memorial of my deceased fiance, Ken Kubit. My friend Traci gave me a load of ivy themed things and I found ivy wallpaper border on sale! the paint was free and was a terrifying hot pink color whilst in the can. I was trepidatious to use it but once on the walls it dried to a deep lovely hue I actually really like.
Now if only my house would REMAIN this tidy. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment